Early in November 2014, MSI announced the release of the GT80 Titan gaming notebook. It was a real game changer as this was and still is the very first gaming notebook that is built with a mechanical keyboard. Last Friday, during the Malaysia IT Fair held in the Mid Valley Exhibition Centre, MSI officially announced that this gaming beast is now available in Malaysia.
As our previous article has shown, this gaming notebook is a beast and is easily one of the best desktop replacements available today. During the launch, MSI mentioned that there will be three variants of the GT80 and most of the hardware remains the same, save for the GPU. Users can opt to have a Titan with a single GTX 970M, GTX 980M or dual GTX 980Ms in SLI. However, for now, Malaysian gamers will only have the variant with the GTX 980Ms in SLI as their choice and this variant will come in at a price of RM13,999.
Besides its impressive performance package, the GT80 Titan also comes with a mechanical keyboard from MSI’s long time partner SteelSeries. For now, this notebook is using Cherry MX Brown switches. However, MSI may add on other switches in the future. Another notable features of the GT80 Titan is the fact that certain parts can be upgraded easily as the “Dragon” plate above the keyboard can be removed very easily giving users access to the HDD, SSD, RAM and Optical Disc Drive.
Here’s a closer look at the GT80 Titan’s full specifications:
- Operating System: Windows 8.1
- LED Backlight Display: 18.4-inch Full HD, matted panel
- CPU: 4th Generation Intel Core i7 processor (up to 5th Gen Intel Core i7)
- Memory Type: DDR3L, up to 1,600MHz, 4 DIMM, max 32GB
- Graphics: 2x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M 8GB GDDR5
- HDD Capacity: From single HDD up to 512GB Super RAID 3 + 1TB HDD 7,200RPM
- Keyboard: Single-colour backlight (red), Keyboard by SteelSeries and Cherry MX
- Optical Disk Drive: BD Writer / DVD Super Multi
- USB 3.0: 5
- Card Reader: SD (XC/HC)
- Video Output: HDMI 1.4 / 2x Mini DisplayPort 1.2
- Mic/Headphone/SPDIF: 1/1/1
- LAN/Wi-Fi: Killer DoubleShot Pro
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 4.0
- Webcam: Full HD (30fps@1080p)
- Battery: 8 cell, 5,225mAh
- Power Adapter: 330W
- Dimension: 456 (W) x 330 (D) x 490 (H) mm
- Weight: 4.5kg (w/battery)
Besides the GT80 Titan, MSI also had one other “little” surprise for us as they showcased the recently announcd GE62 Apache Pro, which made its debut in the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. During the product presentation, MSI highlighted its four key features, which are:
- NVIDIA GTX 900M Graphics, the GE62 Apache Pro uses the latest GTX 965M.
- Dual Exhaust System
- Great Battery Life
- 120Hz Output Support
Not much else was shared with us during the event, but we’ll be sure to keep you updated when we get more information.